This building is a copy of a type of house which was typical for the Trier region, and this is why it is called the "Trier house“. It is a variation on a house type found all over southwest Germany and has the living quarters and livestock shed under one roof. The building was divided longitudinally by an interior wall perpendicular to the roof ridge.
Read more: Saargau house
The garden of the Trier house was planted during 2000/2001 as part of the international "Gardens without frontiers" project. It is bordered with plastered stone walls, the pillars of which have gratings.
Read more: Garden belonging to the Saargau house
For us folklorists the water supply in times gone by is a not insignificant subject. From time immemorial people have had to go to great endeavours to obtain this precious liquid.What is the Lambach pump? - A reciprocating pump, where a large float moved by stream water fed into it drives a plunger into a cylinder above it, which pumps the spring water through a discharge line into an elevated tank.
Read more: Lambach pump
Next to the Kollig farm there is a very different type of little building, which was discovered by museum staff when clearing out the old school in Portz, southwest of Saarburg. It is a small tiled half-timbered building which was originally designed in the last century as a school toilet.
Read more: The school toilet from Portz
The well at this point had probably been used for a long time to supply the farm with water. The fountain house, which is still visible today, was built in 1938 as part of the Limes programme and was mainly used to supply water to a medical bunker, which was located in the area of today's playground at the museum entrance and was blown up and buried after the end of the war. However, it was also used to supply water to a large number of bunkers, some of which are still partially preserved.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version).
Read more: Waterworks
By the summer of 1999 the open air museum had dismantled this stone outbuilding dating from 1734 from the Konz district of Oberemmel. Built into an embankment, the lower floor was used as a ground floor cellar.
Read more: House Schu-Schmitten from Oberemmel
History of the house
The house was originally located in Obermenning, about 5 kilometers beeline south of the museum
in the so called „Konzer Tälchen“
In the masonry of the building the number 1834 was found, which probably hints at the the year of
Read more: House Stein from Niedermennig
The Konz railway station was built in 1860 by a private railway company. It is located on
the line Trier-Saarbrücken and has a branch to Luxemburg. In 1878, the construction of
the so called „Kanonenbahn“, leading from Koblenz to Trier to Metz, took place. In the
course of this construction project, the Karthaus station was built. Subsequently, the two
stations were connected with track.
Because of the increased freight traffic, two goods sheds were built at the Konz station in
1888. The first one was constructed next to the main building and can now be viewed in
the open-air museum. The other one was constructed across from the main building and
was later used by the company Prenzel. Eventually, it was demolished due to a war
The shed that was now transferred to the open-air museum was also damaged by artillery
fire of the US Army, coming from Luxemburg as from September 1944. These datings
coincide with the findings that were discovered during the demolition of the building. On
one of the tracks, the dating 1882 was found. Consequently, the shed must have beed
built later on.
Nearly all of the consignments of Konz-based companies such as Zettelmeyer or KU AG
were processed via this warehouse. One story made the goods shed famous after it was
published in the „Bildzeitung“. A wanted criminal from Berlin had himself locked in a box
and sent to Konz. One forwarder noticed an irregularity and opened the box. The criminal
made a getaway.
The shed in the open-air museum will include an exhibition room where the transportation
und transshipment of goods in the years 1900-1960 will be shown. On trackside, a piece of
track will be reconstructed in order to place a freight wagon on it.