The herb garden in the Roscheider Hof contains over 100 species of plants, which have played an important role from the Middle Ages right up until the present day as herbs for medicinal, culinary or magical purposes, and still do.
The beds are in front of an old, ivy-covered natural stone wall in the east and are enclosed to the west by a pruned box hedge.
The garden has been classically landscaped in a geometric way, with a stone pedestal table in the centre and a bench in the shade of two trees.
Historical garden plans for the Roscheider Hof, first mentioned in 1330, do not exist or no longer exist. The present form of the layout and of the stock of plants was therefore reconstructed from estate management and gardening literature concerning cultivation of country estates dating back to the 16th through the 18th centuries. Country estates at this time had an area of the garden designated as a "medicinal garden" that contained the medicinal herbs. In contrast herbs used as spices were usually planted in a separate kitchen garden. Both these areas were the responsibility of the mistress of the house. Lists from medicinal gardens included up to 150 plant names, many of which were already mentioned in the "Capitulare de villis", an ordinance governing country estates dating back to Charlemagne's time (812). At the moment this garden just serves the museum for illustrative and ornamental purposes.In spring/summer 2020, the plants flowering in the herb garden were catalogued.
Plants in the Roscheider Hof's herb garden