The timber museum is housed in a modern exhibition building lower down from the Hunsrück hamlet. It was built in 2004-2005 with considerable support from the district foresters' association (Kreiswaldbauernverband) in Trier-Saarburg and was opened in October 2006.
Read more: D1 Forestry and timber museum
Instead of the earlier estate vegetable garden, a rose garden has been planted in Biedermeier style. The paths are bordered with box and divide the beds up symmetrically. They end at the iron sundial in the middle of the garden. In June the rose garden is full with the scent of about 8000 rose bushes, half way between the exhibition rooms and the open air museum, and invites the visitor to spend some time there. Daffodils and tulips flower in the spring.
Read more: D2 Rose garden
Even while the rose garden was being planted in 1978 the museum became aware of a Biedermeier summerhouse in Trier. The almost square house was built in 1830 in the garden of the Trier marzipan and chocolate manufacturer, Johann Wilhelm Maret (1799 - 1848). He was a member of the town's more affluent bourgeoisie and one can imagine the social life taking place here on summer evenings.
Read more: D3 The Maret summerhouse
The herb garden in the Roscheider Hof contains over 100 species of plants, which have played an important role from the Middle Ages right up until the present day as herbs for medicinal, culinary or magical purposes, and still do.
Read more: D4 Herb Garden
Our woodland theatre offers space for 100 spectators. It is located in the museum building, but can also be used separately through its own entrance if required. The wooldland theatre can also be rented for cultural events.
Read more: D5 Woodland theatre
In our endeavours to preserve items from bygone days, which are of importance from a cultural and historical aspect, both for today's society and that of the future, we had the idea of exhibiting old historical boundary stones outside in the grounds of the museum. It was obvious to us from the very beginning that we would need to limit ourselves to just a few typical examples of each kind.
Read more: D5a Boundary stones
The plum garden lies below the rose garden and surrounds the half-timbered chapel from Bürder. In addition to some old plum trees from the time of the estate, there are many trees newly planted in the 2nd half of the 2010s. by crop rotation farming, root crops were increasingly cultivated and soil quality was improved by fertilisation.
Read more: D6 Plum garden
The chapel dates from around 1730 and is from Bürder, a few kilometres north of Neuwied. It was kindly donated by the diocese of Trier, as it had to make way for a newly built church. Bürder is however on the right bank of the Rhine and is thus strictly speaking outside the area for the open air museum. The museum was then faced with a dilemma, as no doubt other open air museums have been:
Read more: D7 Chapel from Bürder
Around the chapel from Brüder a replica of a small graveyard has been made, where there are gravestones from three different centuries. The museum was given some gravestones, others turned up when houses were dismantled, where they had obviously been 'recycled'.
Read more: D7a Graveyard by the chapel from Bürder
The three-field economy practised for centuries was replaced by crop rotation, root crops were increasingly cultivated and soil quality was improved by fertilisation.
Read more: D8 Museum fields
The "Good Shepherd" chapel is somewhat hidden off the main path at the entrance to the hamlet of the Hunsrück village. This is a small plastered building surrounded by trees enclosed on three sides.
Read more: D10 Good Shepherd chapel
The purpose of the six-by-nine-meter apiary is to show the importance of bees for the ecosystem
to the public, in particular their function in the process of pollination. At the same time, more people
are to be enthused for beekeeping in order to maintain this craft and a species-rich nature. For our
visitors we have several beehives and information boards about the work of a beekeeper.
Read more: D9 Instructive apiary
Fruit meadows have become rare. In the past, they were like belts around the settlements and provided their inhabitants with fruit that was not only eaten fresh for generations, but also preserved for the winter by drying and preserving.
Read more: D11 Museum orchards
Reichsarbeitsdienst shed of type RL IV. The barrack was stored in the Eifel from the end of the war until its reconstruction in 2017 and, according to oral tradition, was used as a control centre for a V1 launching facility.
Read more: D13 Reichsarbeitsdienst shed
Directly opposite the Reichsarbeitsdienst barracks, the English counterpart, a so-called Nissen hut, has been standing since spring 2021.
Read more: D14 Nissen hut