At the freight station
Next to the Kollig farm there is a very different type of little building, which was discovered by museum staff when clearing out the old school in Portz, southwest of Saarburg. It is a small tiled half-timbered building which was originally designed in the last century as a school toilet.
The well at this point had probably been used for a long time to supply the farm with water. The fountain house, which is still visible today, was built in 1938 as part of the Limes programme and was mainly used to supply water to a medical bunker, which was located in the area of today's playground at the museum entrance and was blown up and buried after the end of the war. However, it was also used to supply water to a large number of bunkers, some of which are still partially preserved.
The Konz railway station was built in 1860 by a private railway company. It is located on the line Trier-Saarbrücken and has a branch to Luxemburg. In 1878, the construction of the so called „Kanonenbahn“, leading from Koblenz to Trier to Metz, took place. In the course of this construction project, the Karthaus station was built. Subsequently, the two stations were connected with track.
History of the house
The house was originally located in Obermenning, about 5 kilometers beeline south of the museum in the so called „Konzer Tälchen“ In the masonry of the building the number 1834 was found, which probably hints at the the year of its construction.
Above the house from Obermennig, a dry stone wall was laid out in the summer of 2019 over which a vineyard was planted in the spring of 2000 with the support of the Dr. Frey winery from Kanzem Our museum would like to thank the ecumenical men's group "Ora und Labora" from Konz for their great unpaid commitment to this beautiful project.