Estate buildings
The "Roscheider Hof" estate is used today as exhibition rooms. It consists of several buildings: the core of the place is formed by the buildings around a rectangular courtyard, also the crosswise barn (today the museum entrance and workshops), weight houses (with its collection of old weighing machines on the inside) and the former covered midden which has since been converted to the visitor's centre.

Read more: Estate buildings

Clambour Pavillon
The rectangular half-timbered pavilion, which is under preservation order, is near the museum entrance. It was reconstructed during 2000 after being taken apart two years before in the Konz town centre. It had been built onto the so-called Clambour House, which has now been demolished.

Read more: Clambour Pavillon

Good Shepherd chapel
The "Good Shepherd" chapel is somewhat hidden off the main path at the entrance to the hamlet of the Hunsrück village. This is a small plastered building surrounded by trees enclosed on three sides.

Read more: Good Shepherd chapel

Chapel from Bürder
The chapel dates from around 1730 and is from Bürder, a few kilometres north of Neuwied. It was kindly donated by the diocese of Trier, as it had to make way for a newly built church. Bürder is however on the right bank of the Rhine and is thus strictly speaking outside the area for the open air museum. The museum was then faced with a dilemma, as no doubt other open air museums have been:

Read more: Chapel from Bürder

Graveyard by the chapel from Bürder
Around the chapel from Brüder a replica of a small graveyard has been made, where there are gravestones from three different centuries. The museum was given some gravestones, others turned up when houses were dismantled, where they had obviously been 'recycled'.

Read more: Graveyard by the chapel from Bürder

Herb Garden
The herb garden in the Roscheider Hof contains over 100 species of plants, which have played an important role from the Middle Ages right up until the present day as herbs for medicinal, culinary or magical purposes, and still do.

Read more: Herb Garden

Rose garden
Instead of the earlier estate vegetable garden, a rose garden has been planted in Biedermeier style. The paths are bordered with box and divide the beds up symmetrically. They end at the iron sundial in the middle of the garden. In June the rose garden is full with the scent of about 8000 rose bushes, half way between the exhibition rooms and the open air museum, and invites the visitor to spend some time there. Daffodils and tulips flower in the spring.

Read more: Rose garden

The Maret summerhouse
Even while the rose garden was being planted in 1978 the museum became aware of a Biedermeier summerhouse in Trier. The almost square house was built in 1830 in the garden of the Trier marzipan and chocolate manufacturer, Johann Wilhelm Maret (1799 - 1848). He was a member of the town's more affluent bourgeoisie and one can imagine the social life taking place here on summer evenings.

Read more: The Maret summerhouse

Boundary stones
In our endeavours to preserve items from bygone days, which are of importance from a cultural and historical aspect, both for today's society and that of the future, we had the idea of exhibiting old historical boundary stones outside in the grounds of the museum. It was obvious to us from the very beginning that we would need to limit ourselves to just a few typical examples of each kind.

Read more: Boundary stones

Museum meadows and orchards
Crops are grown along the Green Path which were typical of the Moselle and Saar regions over the lastpast centuries, but which gradually died out in the course of the changes taking place in agriculture since the 18th century. The three-field system practised for centuries was replaced by crop rotation. Root crops were cultivated more, and soil quality was improved by fertilisation. In this way emmer wheat, spelt and buckwheat gradually vanished from the fields and gave way to rye and wheat.

Read more: Museum meadows and orchards

apiary

The purpose of the six-by-nine-meter apiary is to show the importance of bees for the ecosystem to the public, in particular their function in the process of pollination. At the same time, more people are to be enthused for beekeeping in order to maintain this craft and a species-rich nature. For our visitors we have several beehives and information boards about the work of a beekeeper.

Read more: Instructive apiary

 Aktuelles



Kindertag


Kindertag
Sonntag den 05. August 2017,
Kinderspiele wie vor 100 Jahren. Sonntag den 06. August, 11.00 - 17.00 Uhr mit der Wiltinger Jugendkapelle und einem Theaterstück auf der Waldbühne
Mehr Infos [+]

Sonderausstellung "Von der Kuh ins Kühlregal"


Ausstellungseröffnung Kuh im Kühlregal Die Milchmach-Ausstellung "Von der Kuh ins Kühlregal" des LVR-Freilichtmuseums Lindlar ergänzt mit Bildern von Molkerein in Rheinland-Pfalz um 1960 aus dem Bestand der milag Bad-Kreuznach.
Weitere Infos [+]


Sonderausstellung
"In kleinster Weise"


In kleinster Weise

Bis zum Saisonschluss 2018 ist im Besucherzentrum unsere neue Sonderausstellung zu sehen.
Zur Sonderausstellung [+]

Projekt DiMiDo des Studierendenwerks


DiMiDOo

Wir sind ab sofort Partner im Projekt DiMiDo dem Kultursemesterticket für Trierer Studis: Studierende aller Standorte der Hochschule Trier, der Universität Trier und der Theologischen Fakultät haben am Dienstag, Mittwoch und Donnerstag freien Eintritt.